Monday 18 October 2010

Every second counts

Cyclocross is a pretty technical sport. It involves a lot of dismounting and remounting along with tricky corners, hills and descents... So when I was contacted by cyclocross legend Barry Davies to see if I wanted any advice I seized the opportunity.

Today Barry and I headed over to the university fields and he showed me some tips that should help me gain some time in the 'cross races in the coming months. The way he put it was: 'If  you had to get on and off around 3 times per lap, and there are 12 laps that would be 36 dismounts/remounts. Now if you can complete each of these 5 seconds faster you would gain 3 minutes in time which is often equal to around half a lap'. So by improving my technique alone I could possibly finish a few places further up than I have in the past. Nice.

Barry also leant me a cyclocross book which I'm going to plough through to get any little tips that could save me time. Perhaps one day I'll be as smooth as the guys in this video (minus the crashes):



A big thanks to Barry for today and I look forward to the next race on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment